It is a very straightforward 3-step process to become a licensed home inspector in the state of Illinois.
- Complete an approved 60-hour home inspection course as well as 5 ride-along inspections with an Illinois licensed home inspector. Our course is fully approved fulfill both of these requirements. You’ll just complete our online course, then come in for 3 days of classroom and field training. On the Illinois state website, we are listed as PDH Academy, which is our parent company. Total tuition for the online course plus the 3 days of classroom/field training is $1,295. The dates for our classroom/field sessions are listed below. To register for an upcoming classroom/field session call us at (888)374-4096. If you prefer to just register for the online class at this time you can do that for $695 here on our website or over the phone and arrange your field training at a later date.
- Take and pass the Illinois State Home Inspectors Exam.
- Start your own business or go to work for an existing company!
Downers Grove, IL 3 day Classroom/field Course
- February 21 – 23, 2020 ($1,295 – includes online) Full
- April 3 – 5, 2020 ($1,295 – includes online) Register
- May 1 – 3, 2020 ($1,295 – includes online) Register
- June 5 – 7, 2020 ($1,295 – includes online) Register
Taking the ICA Real Estate Inspection Course
Here’s how it works. Register for the ICA Real Estate Inspection Certification Program. The course will give you all the knowledge you will need to perform a home inspection and own/operate your own successful home inspection business.
In the course, you will also learn all about commercial inspections, mold inspections, radon inspections, and building code. You will learn what you need to know to pass the National Home Inspectors exam.
Why You Should Choose ICA for Your Illinois Home Inspector Training
Our training goes well beyond the topics covered by our competitors, which makes ICA the best choice for the training you need to receive your Illinois home inspector’s license. Compare us to the competition and you’ll understand why.
We offer the most comprehensive Home Inspector Training and Certification Program available anywhere in Illinois. There’s no time limit, so ICA students can complete their online training at their own pace using Android or iOS tablets, smartphones, laptops or desktop computers. All training materials are available online 24/7, which means students can complete the program any time and anywhere there’s an Internet connection. Most students complete the online portion of the training in just a few weeks, although some finish in as few as 10 days.
All ICA online home inspection training videos are narrated by certified home inspectors with years of inspection industry experience. Collectively, they’ve performed thousands of property inspections and have encountered just about everything having to do with inspecting commercial and residential properties. Your training will cover it all, from the basics of performing home inspections to starting your new career as a licensed Illinois home inspector. The program even includes information on opening and promoting your own home inspection business.
What ICA’s Home Inspection Classroom Training Covers
Here’s a summary of the topics covered by ICA’s home inspection classroom and field training:
- Introduction to Home Inspections – Overview of the home inspection industry
- Business and Legal Aspects – Starting a home inspection business, preparing client/inspector agreements, insurance and marketing requirements
- Inspection Process – Home inspection methods and standards
- Roofing – Roofing terms, roof materials, basic and advanced roof inspections, detecting roof defects
- Home Exterior – Site and grading, siding and trim, exterior defects, porches, decks and balconies, paving and vegetation
- Structure – Foundations, beams, joists, trusses, roof, framing, inspecting structures and detecting structural defects
- House Interior – Interior rooms, attics, walls and insulation, windows and doors, bathrooms, kitchens and appliances, basements and crawl spaces
- Plumbing – Supply lines, waste piping, connections, vents, drainage, fixtures and faucets, water heaters, fuel storage tanks and lines, sump and ejector pumps
- Heating System – Combustion requirements, forced air heating, hydronic heating, space and wall heaters, fireplaces and chimneys, wood stoves and vents
- Air Conditioning – Basics of refrigeration, split systems, ductless systems, geothermal and air source heat pumps
- Electrical Systems – Theory of electricity, drops and distribution, wire gauges, main and subpanels, switches and outlets, electrical fixtures, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Reporting – Preparing written reports for clients, including how to use Report Form Pro Nitro inspection report software with digital devices
- Marketing Your Business – Strategies and techniques for building a successful home inspection business
- Commercial Inspections – Inspecting commercial buildings and understanding ASTM international standards (formerly American Society for Testing Materials)
- Using Drones During Inspections – Inspecting rooftops with drones
Once the Coursework Is Done
Upon completion of the course, you will be an ICA Certified Home Inspector. We will issue you a certificate number, which you can use on your business cards, website, and inspection reports.
ICA Certified home inspectors can join InterNACHI, with a free one-year membership that we provide for our graduates. Take and pass the Illinois Home Inspectors exam. Then, simply start your own home inspection business or go to work with an existing home inspection company! It’s that easy! See what some of our graduates have to say about ICA home inspection training.
To register today, call us at (888) 374-4096. If you prefer to sign up only for the online class at this time, call or contact us through our website. You can schedule the classroom and ride-along field training later.
Enroll now and you can open your own business as a licensed Illinois home inspector in just a few short weeks.
Still, have questions about ICA or our Illinois home inspector classroom and field training program? Check the FAQs below or call us at 888-374-4096. We’ll be glad to help you get started on your way to a new and rewarding career as a licensed Illinois home inspector.
How do I become a home inspector in Illinois?
As stated above, once you complete our online home inspection course, you will be a certified home inspector. The other thing Illinois requires is that you do five ride-along inspections with an Illinois licensed home inspector. You can do those ridealongs with any licensed inspector, so if you want to find someone on your own you can. However, most students will do those with us during our 3 day classroom field sessions. After that, you just need to take the Illinois home inspectors exam, for which we prepare you.
How much money do home inspectors make in Illinois?
The average salary for a home inspector in Illinois is approximately $70,000 per year.
How much does a home inspection pay?
The average fee for a home inspection in the state of Illinois is $400. The amount you charge for a home inspection will vary based on age and square footage of the home. We’ll cover all of that during the online course.
Is your home inspection training course recognized by InterNACHI?
Yes. We work very closely with InterNACHI. In fact all of our graduates receive a free one year membership to InterNACHI.
Is your home inspection training class recognized by ASHI?
Yes. We work closely with the American Society of Home Inspectors. In fact, we train you specifically to the ASHI standards of practice and our training is certified Gold by ASHI.
Is your home inspection training class recognized by NAHI?
In 2016 NAHI merged with ASHI, so NAHI no longer exists as a home inspection membership organization.
Will you mail me a certification?
Yes. We mail out your Illinois home inspection transcript to you upon completion of our online course and the five ridealong inspections.
What should I use for my inspection report when I perform a home inspection?
We have an arrangement with www.homeinspectionform.com where our graduates receive a free copy of their Report Form Pro Nitro home inspection reporting software. That is the report that most of our graduates start with since it is so easy to use. Normally selling for $400, the Report Form Pro Nitro home inspection report can be printed and filled out by hand or filled out on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can even put in photos easily. They also have a mobile app version of their home inspection report that can be used on an Android or Apple mobile device. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you have a home inspection report form that you’re comfortable with, and these are both good home inspection report options.
Is there a time limit for the online home inspection course for Illinois?
No. There is no time limit on our course, so you can take as much time as you would like to complete it.
Do you provide a list of tools that I need for performing a home inspection?
Yes. We provide you with a list of tools needed. It comes out to a little under $200, including the non-invasive moisture meter.
What about marketing materials?
We suggest using www.vistaprint.com for your business cards, brochures, and company website if you set one up. They are very affordable and even have templates specific to home inspection businesses.
Do you offer my Illinois state home inspection test?
No schools are allowed to give the home inspection exam in Illinois. That test is given by a third-party testing company.
Do you send my certificate to the board?
Actually, the way it works is that once you complete our course and pass the Illinois exam, you will send the board a copy of your Illinois home inspection transcript from us along with your score sheet from the Illinois exam. Then you will be issued your home inspection license.
Can I start my own home inspection business in Illinois after taking your online course?
Yes. In fact, the majority of our graduates will start their own successful home inspection business after completing our course. We also train you on the whole marketing and business start-up side of things.
What if I have questions during the online home inspectors course?
We have full support for all students and graduates, both during and after the course. Even if you have questions when you are on a home inspection, we can assist.
Do I need to be a contractor to be a home inspector?
No. We train students from all different backgrounds to be successful home inspectors. A contractor background is not necessary to become a home inspector in Illinois.
It doesn’t matter whether you want to become a home inspector in Chicago, Springfield, Champaign Rockford, Peoria, Naperville, Aurora, Joliet, Schaumburg, or Elgin. Our online home inspection course can be completed from anywhere. What are you waiting for? Enroll now to begin an exciting new career as a home inspector in Illinois!