California is one of roughly 20 states that still have not adopted licensing requirements for home inspectors. That said, real estate agents and your clients still need to see that you are certified as a home inspector. That’s where Inspection Certification Associates program comes in.
Steps to become a certified home inspector in California:
- Register for the ICA Real Estate Inspection Certification Program. This will not only give you all the knowledge you’ll need to perform a home inspection and own/operate your own successful home inspection business, but you’ll also learn all about commercial inspections, as well as mold, radon, and code. Upon completion of the course you will be an ICA Certified Home Inspector and we will issue you a certification number, which you can use on your business cards and inspection reports.
- Start your own business or go to work for an existing company!
Why Trust ICA’s California Credentials
ICA has been certifying home inspectors in California for more than 20 years. Our Real Estate Inspection Certification Program Training has been approved and endorsed by the California Real Estate Inspection Association. CREIA is a membership organization that’s open to professional home inspectors, and is considered to be an industry benchmark. Working closely with CREIA, our program is specifically designed to help students prepare for and pass the National Home Inspectors Examination (NHIE), which is one of the requirements to qualifying for CREIA membership.
Other professional endorsements of ICA’s online home inspector training include the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI), who awarded us with their gold certification status. We’re also recognized by InterNACHI, which is the world’s largest association of certified home Inspectors. All ICA students are entitled to a free one-year InterNACHI membership following their completion of our home inspector training.
Becoming a home inspector in California is a simple process.
Why ICA Is the Right Choice for California Home Inspector Training
Inspection Certification Associates makes it fast, easy and affordable to become a certified home inspector in California. All training materials are available online 24/7, and can be easily accessed using a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer. Since there’s no time limit for finishing ICA training, our students can complete their studies at their convenience any time and anywhere there’s an Internet connection.
Completing ICA’s Real Estate Inspection Certification Training will give you the knowledge you’ll need to work for an established inspection company or open your own business as a residential and commercial property inspector in California. Here are some of the topics covered in our online training program:
- Introduction to the Home Inspection Profession – Insight into the home inspection industry
- Business and Legal Aspects of a Residential Inspection Business– Starting and operating a home inspection business, the importance of client/inspector agreements, insurance requirements and marketing techniques
- Conducting the Inspection – Home inspection methods and industry standards
- The Home’s Rooftop – Types of roofs, roof materials, basic and advanced roof inspections, detecting roof defects
- Exterior of the Home – Site and grading considerations, siding and trim, exterior defects, porches, decks and balconies, paving and vegetation
- The Residence’s Structural Components – Inspecting foundations, beams, joists, trusses, roof, framing and detecting structural defects
- Interior of the Home – Individual rooms, attics, walls and insulation, fireplaces and chimneys, windows, interior doors, bathrooms, kitchens and kitchen appliances, basements and crawl spaces
- The Plumbing System – Supply lines, waste piping, connections, vents, drainage, fixtures and faucets, water heaters, fuel storage tanks and lines, sump and ejector pumps
- The Heating System – Fuel combustion, forced air heating, hydronic heating, space and wall heaters, fireplaces and chimneys, wood stoves and vents
- The Home’s Air Conditioning System – Basics of refrigeration, split A/C systems, ductless systems, air source and geothermal heat pumps
- The Electrical System – Theory of electricity, drops and distribution, wire gauges, main and subpanels, switches and outlets, electrical fixtures, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Issuing Inspection Reports – Preparing written reports for clients, including how to use Report Form 2 inspection report software with digital devices (Report Form 2 is a $399 value if purchased separately, but it’s included at no extra cost with ICA classes)
- Marketing Your Business – Strategies and techniques for building a successful home inspection business
- Conducting Commercial Inspections – Inspecting commercial buildings, understanding ASTM international standards (formerly American Society for Testing Materials)
- Using Drones During Inspections – Inspecting rooftops with drones
Watch our online course demo to get a sense of how our experts lead you through the coursework and toward your home inspection career.
What Else Is Included with ICA Online Home Inspector Training?
We provide the most comprehensive home inspector training available anywhere in California. Here are some of the extra benefits you’ll receive when you enroll in ICA’s California Home Inspector Training:
- Lifetime access to ICA’s online home inspection training program
- Residential and commercial inspection certifications mailed to you upon completion of your training
- Radon and Mold Certification Courses are included in your tuition, which is valued at $200
- Unlimited support from ICA instructors for students and graduates
- Lifetime access to all ICA online home inspection courses and training materials
- Free mobile app with more than 700 practice questions for the National Home Inspector Exam
- Lifetime online refresher training, including access to all the latest course materials
When you compare us to other home inspector training schools, you’ll see why Inspection Certification Associates is you best choice for becoming a certified home inspector in California.
Why wait? Enroll now and you can be on your way to starting your own business as a California home inspector in just a few short weeks.
Need more information or still have questions about ICA’s California home inspector training? Browse through the FAQs below, send a message or call us at 888-374-4096. We/re always available to help.
How do I become a home inspector in California?
Once you complete our course, you become a certified home inspector. We will mail your home inspection certificate and issue your certification number. Use that number on your business cards, website, and home inspection reports. At that point, you’re ready to go!
How much money do home inspectors make?
The average salary for a home inspector in California is approximately $73,000 per year.
How much does a home inspection pay?
The average fee for a home inspection in California is $420. The amount you charge for a home inspection will vary based on age and square footage of the home. Don’t worry, though. Information about how to appropriately charge for your work will be covered during your online home inspection course.
Is ICA training recognized by CREIA?
Yes. We work closely with the California Real Estate Inspection Association (CREIA). If you want to join CREIA after taking our course, you just need to take and pass the National Home Inspectors Exam. Our course is approved to fulfill the initial CREIA training requirements.
Is your training recognized by ASHI?
Yes. We work closely with the American Society of Home Inspectors. In fact, we train you specifically to the ASHI standards of practice and our training is certified Gold by ASHI.
Is your home inspection training course recognized by InterNACHI?
Yes. We work very closely with InterNACHI. In fact all of our graduates receive a free one year membership to InterNACHI.
Is your training recognized by NAHI?
In 2016 NAHI merged with ASHI, so NAHI no longer exists actually.
Does California require continuing education for home inspectors?
No. Continuing education is not required for home inspectors in California.
Will you mail me a certification?
Yes. We will mail out your home inspection certification to you upon your completion of our online course.
When I perform a home inspection, what should I use for my inspection report?
We have an arrangement with www.homeinspectionform.com for our graduates to receive a free copy of their Report Form Pro 2 home inspection reporting software. That report is the one that most of our graduates start with since it is so easy to use. Normally selling for $400, the Report Form Pro 2 home inspection report can be printed and filled out by hand or filled out on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can even insert photos easily. There is also a mobile app version of the home inspection report that can be used on an Android or Apple mobile device. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you have a home inspection report form with which you are comfortable, and these are both good home inspection report options.
Does this course certify me in mold inspection and radon inspection?
Does the online home inspection training course for California have a time limit?
No. There is no time limit on our course, so you can take as much time as you would like to complete it.
Do you provide a list of tools that I will need for performing a home inspection?
Yes. We will provide you with a list of tools needed. The total cost of the tools, including the non-invasive moisture meter, comes out to roughly $200.
What about marketing materials for my home inspection business?
We suggest using www.vistaprint.com for your business cards, brochures, and company website if you decide to use one. They are very affordable and even have templates specific to home inspection businesses.
Do you offer the state test for California?
There is no state exam for home inspectors in California.
Do you send my certificate to the board?
There is no home inspection licensing board in California.
Can I start my own home inspection business after taking your online course?
Yes. In fact, the majority of our graduates will start their own successful home inspection business after completing our course. We will also train you on the whole marketing and business start-up side of things.
What if I have questions during the course?
We have full support for all students and graduates, both during and after the course. Even if you have questions when you are on a home inspection, we can assist!
Do I need to be a contractor to become a home inspector?
No. With our home inspection training course, we train students from all different backgrounds to be successful home inspectors. A contractor background can be beneficial but it is not necessary to become a home inspector in California or any other state.
It doesn’t matter whether you want to become a home inspector in Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Diego, Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, or Anaheim. Our online home inspection course can be completed from anywhere! What are you waiting for? Enroll now and start your new career as a home inspector in California!