To become a home inspector in the state of Maryland, you just need to follow a few steps.
- Complete 72 hours of approved home inspection classroom training. Maryland’s Commissioner of Real Estate Appraisers, Appraisal Management and Home Inspectors Companies have given ICA full approval to provide home inspector license training. Inspection Certification Associates offers prospective licensees an 8 day Home Inspection Classroom Training Course, which satisfies Maryland’s requirement for pre-licensing classroom training.
COVID-19 UPDATE: The state is temporarily allowing the 72 hours to be completed online. See below for our 72-hour online Maryland Course.
- Take and pass the National Home Inspectors Exam (NHIE). ICA training materials include an online NIHE study guide with more than 700 practice questions. When you complete ICA’s for pre-licensing training, you’ll be fully prepared to take and pass the NHIE exam.
- Start your own home inspection business or go to work for an existing home inspection company!
Maryland Online Course
COVID-19 UPDATE: The state is temporarily allowing the 72 hours to be completed online. See below for more details regarding our 72-hour online Maryland Course.
The following online course will satisfy the 72-hour requirement in Maryland. In addition to the online course, you will also receive all of our bonus courses, home inspection software and a ticket to attend any of our classroom courses at a later date. (Note: You aren’t required to attend the classroom course as part of the 72 hours, but it is an option for those that want additional live instruction.)
72-Hour Maryland Online Course – $1,395 Enroll Now
Maryland Home Inspector Classroom Course Schedule
Tuition for the course is $1,395, including all training materials and numerous valuable extras. Courses duration is 8 consecutive days from 8am – 5:30pm.
Rockville, MD 8 day Classroom Course
- June 6 – 13, 2020 ($1,395) Register
- August 8 – 15, 2020 ($1,395) Call to Register
Baltimore, MD 8 day Classroom Course
- May 31 – June 7, 2020 ($1,395) Register
- July 18 – 25, 2020 ($1,395) Call to Register
- Sept. 19 – 26, 2020 ($1,395) Call to Register
What’s Included in a Maryland Home Inspection?
Maryland defines a home inspection as a written evaluation of one or more of the following components of a residence:
- Structural elements
- Interior and exterior components
- Heating and cooling systems
- Plumbing system
- Any other house-related component
All these and more are covered when you choose ICA for your 72-hour Maryland home inspection license training.
Maryland Home Inspector Frequently Asked Questions
As stated above, once you complete our 8 day (72 hour) home inspection classroom training course you are ICA Certified and have fulfilled the home inspection training requirements for Maryland. You also will need to take the National Home Inspectors Exam, for which we prepare you. After that you are licensed and ready to go.
How much money do home inspectors make?
The average salary for a home inspector in Maryland is approximately $79,000 per year.
How much money should a home inspector charge for a home inspection?
The average inspection fee for a 2,000 square foot home inspection in Maryland is $400. The amount you charge for a home inspection will vary based on age and square footage of the home. Our course will teach you how to structure your home inspection fees.
Is your home inspection training course recognized by InterNACHI?
Yes. We work very closely with InterNACHI. In fact all of our graduates receive a free one month membership to InterNACHI.
Is your home inspection training school affiliated with ASHI?
Yes. We work closely with the American Society of Home Inspectors. In fact, we are Gold Level members with ASHI. The training in our online course goes over the ASHI Standards in detail.
Is your home inspection training class recognized by NAHI?
In 2016 NAHI merged with ASHI, so NAHI no longer exists as a home inspection membership organization.
Do you mail me a hard copy of my home inspection certification?
Yes. We mail out your home inspection certification to you upon completion of our 72 hour Maryland home inspection classroom course. We also mail out a wallet-sized, laminated copy of your credentials.
What should I use for my inspection report when I perform a home inspection?
We have an arrangement with www.homeinspectionform.com wherein our graduates receive a free copy of their Report Form Pro Nitro home inspection reporting software. That is the report that most of our graduates start with since it is so easy to use. Normally selling for $400, the Report Form Pro Nitro home inspection reporting software can be printed and filled out by hand or filled out on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can even put in photos easily. Report Form Pro Nitro is the number one home inspection reporting software program for home inspectors in Maryland.
Is there a time limit for the classroom course in Maryland?
No. There is no time limit on our course, so for example if you needed to take 4 days in one class session and then 4 more days next session to get all 8 days of home inspection training completed that is no problem..
Do you provide a list of tools that I need for performing a home inspection in Maryland?
Yes. We provide you with a list of tools needed. The total cost of tools comes out to a little under $200, including the non-invasive moisture meter, combustible gas detector, etc.
What about marketing materials?
We suggest using www.vistaprint.com for your business cards, brochures, and company website if you set one up. They are very affordable and even have templates specific to home inspection businesses.
Do you offer my state home inspection test?
No schools are allowed to give the home inspection exam in Maryland. That test is given by a third-party testing company.
Do you send my certificate to the Maryland home inspection licensing board?
Actually, the way it works is once you complete our course and pass the Maryland exam, you will send the board a copy of your certification from us along with your score sheet from the Maryland exam. Then you will be issued your home inspection license.
Can I start my own home inspection business after taking your online course?
No, in Maryland you must complete our 8 day classroom training course to become a licensed home inspector and start your home inspection business in Maryland.
What if I have questions during my course?
We have full support for all students and graduates, both during and after the course. Even if you have questions when you are out in the field performing a home inspection, we can assist via email, text, or phone.
Do I need to be a contractor to be a home inspector in Maryland?
No. We train students from all different backgrounds to be successful home inspectors. A contractor background can be helpful but it not necessary or mandatory to become a home inspector in Maryland.
It doesn’t matter whether you want to become a home inspector in DC, Silver Spring, Baltimore, Rockville, Towson, Hagerstown, Ocean City, Annapolis, or Frederick ; our home inspection classroom course will fulfill the Maryland home inspection licensing requirements. What are you waiting for? Enroll now and begin your new career as a home inspector in Maryland!
What ICA Home Inspection Training Includes
Here are some of the topics covered in ICA’s home inspection classroom training:
- Home Inspection Overview – Introduction to the home inspection industry
- Business and Legal Aspects – Starting a home inspection business, pre-inspection agreements, insurance and marketing needs
- Conducting an Inspection – Inspection industry standards and methods
- Roofs – Terms, materials, basic and advanced roof inspections, detecting roof defects
- The Home’s Exterior – Site and grading considerations, trim, porches, decks and railings, paving and vegetation
- Structural Components – Foundations, beams, joists, trusses, roof and framing
- Inside the Home – Individual rooms, windows, walls and doors, attics and insulation, bathrooms, kitchens, basements and crawlspaces
- The Plumbing System– Water supply lines, waste piping, connections, vents, drainage, fixtures and faucets, water heaters, sump pumps and ejector pumps
- The Heating System – Forced air heating, hydronic heating, space heaters, fireplaces and chimneys, wood stoves and vents
- The Air Conditioning System – Refrigeration basics, ductless systems, split systems, air source and geothermal heat pumps
- The House’s Electrical Systems – Theory of electricity, drops and distribution, wire gauges, main panels and subpanels, switches and outlets, fixtures, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Inspection Reports – Preparing written reports with digital devices using Report Form Pro Nitro software
- Marketing Your Home Inspection Business – Techniques and strategies for starting and growing a home inspection business
- Commercial Inspections – Inspecting commercial properties
- Using Drones During Inspections – How to inspect rooftops with drones
When you’ve completed Inspection Certification Associates’ Maryland Home Inspection Classroom Training, you’ll be ready to sit for the Maryland home inspector license exam. Once you’ve passed the exam and received your license, you’ll be qualified to perform home inspections anywhere in Maryland.
Valuable Extras To Home Inspection Training
Students enrolled in ICA’s home inspection classroom training also have access to our Online Home Inspection Course and Training Materials. You’ll also receive Radon and Mold training and certification, which is a $200 value. Unlike most other home inspection trainers, radon and mold training is included with your ICA tuition.
Here are more valuable features included free with ICA’s classroom home inspection training:
- Lifetime access to our online home inspection training program
- Residential and commercial inspection certifications
- Free one-month InterNACHI membership
- Report Form Pro Nitro Inspection Report Software for mobile devices ($399 value)
- Over 12 Free Bonus Courses covering add on home inspection services
- Free lifetime listing in the HireAnInspector.com directory
- Unlimited lifetime support from the ICA staff
- Downloadable MP4 video training models for accessing course materials when there’s no Internet connection
- Free downloads of reference materials in ICA’s extensive online library
- Lifetime access to all ICA home inspection courses and training materials
- Online refresher training, including access to all annual course updates
Enroll now! You could be starting a new career and opening your own business as a licensed Maryland home inspector in just a few short weeks.
Still have questions about ICA’s Maryland home inspector classroom training? Browse through our FAQs, the FAQs listed below or feel free to call us at 888-374-4096.