It is a very straightforward process to become a licensed home inspector in the state of Louisiana.
Simply follow these steps:
- Complete a state-approved 90-hour home inspection course. (Note: Our online course is fully approved by the state of Louisiana to fulfill this requirement.)
- Perform 30 hours of field training with a Louisiana Licensed Home Inspector.
- Take and pass the Louisiana State Home Inspectors Exam.
- Start your own business or go to work for an existing company!
Taking the ICA Real Estate Inspection Course
Register for the ICA Real Estate Inspection Certificate Program. The course will give you all the knowledge you will need to perform a home inspection and own/operate your own successful home inspection business.
What’s Included in ICA’s Louisiana Home Inspector Training?
Completing our online and field training will provide you with everything you need to conduct home inspections and successfully operate your own home inspection business or work for an existing home inspection business. You’ll also be certified to perform inspections of commercial properties. Following your training, we’ll assign you a certification number that can be used on your business cards, website, reports and other materials to let prospective clients know you’re qualified to conduct inspections.
Here’s a summary of the topics covered in ICA’s Louisiana home inspector training:
- Introduction to Home Inspections – Overview of the home inspection industry and the life of a licensed home inspector
- Business and Legal Aspects – Starting a home inspection business, the importance of written inspection agreements, error & omissions and liability insurance requirements
- Inspection Process – Home inspection methods and industry standards
- Roofing – Roofing terms and roof types, roof materials, basic and advanced roof inspection techniques, detecting roof defects
- The Home’s Exterior – Site grading and drainage, siding or stucco and trim, exterior defects, porches, decks, balconies and railings, paving and vegetation
- Structural Components – Foundations and footings, beams, joists, trusses, framing, techniques for inspecting structures and detecting structural defects
- Interior of the House – Interior rooms and walls, attics and insulation, windows and doors, bathrooms, kitchens and kitchen appliances, basements and crawl spaces
- The Home’s Plumbing System – Water supply lines, waste piping, septic systems, connections, vents, drainage, bathroom and kitchen faucets and fixtures, water heaters, fuel storage tanks and lines, sump pumps and ejector pumps
- Heating Systems – Heat sources, fossil fuel combustion, forced air heating, hydronic heating, space and wall heaters, fireplaces and chimneys, wood stoves and vents
- Air Conditioning Systems – Basics of refrigeration, split cooling systems, ductless systems, geothermal and air source heat pumps
- Wiring and Electrical Systems – Theory of electricity, service drops and distribution, wire gauges, main panels and subpanels, switches and outlets, ground fault interrupters (GFIs), electrical fixtures, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
- Marketing Your Business – Strategies, tips and techniques for starting, growing and operating a successful home inspection business
- Conducting Commercial Inspections – How to perform commercial building inspections, understanding ASTM international standards (formerly American Society for Testing Materials)
- Using Drones – How to inspect rooftops without climbing onto the roof
After passing the Louisiana State Home Inspectors Exam and receiving your Louisiana home inspector’s license, you’ll be qualified to perform home and commercial inspections throughout the state!
More of What’s Included with ICA’s Louisiana Home Inspector License Training
In addition to the most comprehensive home inspector training available, here are some other benefits you’ll enjoy when you train for your Louisiana home inspector license through Inspection Certification Associates:
- Lifetime access to all ICA online home inspection training materials.
- Unlike most other home inspector training schools, Radon and Mold certification courses are included free of charge. That’s a $200 value if purchased separately.
- Report Form 2 for mobile devices used to generate inspector/client agreements and issue final reports. It’s a $399 value, but it’s free with your ICA Louisiana home inspector license training.
- Unlimited lifetime ICA instructor support for all students and graduates.
- Lifetime listing in a com directory. The listing normally costs $200 per year, but it’s free to ICA graduates.
- Lifetime access to all ICA online home inspection courses.
- Lifetime online refresher training, including access to all the latest ICA course materials.
- One-year’s free InterNACHI membership, which is the world’s largest home inspector organization.
See what some of our graduates have to say about ICA’s home inspection training.
Enroll now and you’ll soon be on your way to becoming a certified Louisiana home inspector and opening your own Louisiana home inspection business anywhere within the state. Still have questions about ICA or our Louisiana home inspector training program? Check the FAQs below, or call us at 888-374-4096. We’ll be glad to help you get started on your way to a new and rewarding career as a certified Louisiana home inspector!
How do I become a home inspector in Louisiana?
After you complete our online course, you become an ICA certified home inspector. Upon completion of the course, we mail out your home inspection certification and issue you your certification number. That number is what you will want to put on your business cards and home inspection reports. In addition to the 30 hours of field training mentioned above, you will also need to take the Louisiana home inspectors exam, for which we prepare you.
How do I get my 30 field training hours?
The Louisiana state home inspection board has a list of folks on their website with whom you can do the field training.
How much money do home inspectors make?
The average salary for a home inspector in Louisiana is approximately $71,500 per year.
How much does a home inspection pay?
The average fee for a home inspection in Louisiana is $365. The amount you charge for a home inspection will vary based on age and square footage of the home. You will learn all about that during the course.
Is your home inspection training course recognized by InterNACHI?
Yes. We work very closely with InterNACHI. In fact all of our graduates receive a free one year membership to InterNACHI.
Is your home inspection training class recognized by ASHI?
Yes. We work closely with the American Society of Home Inspectors. In fact, we train you specifically to the ASHI standards of practice and our training is certified Gold by ASHI.
Is your home inspection training class recognized by NAHI?
In 2016 NAHI merged with ASHI, so NAHI no longer exists as a home inspection membership organization.
Do you mail me a certification?
Yes. We mail out your home inspection certification to you upon completion of our online course.
What should I use for my inspection report when I perform a home inspection?
We have an arrangement with www.homeinspectionform.com wherein our graduates receive a free copy of their Report Form Pro 2 home inspection reporting software. That is the report that most of our graduates start with since it is so easy to use. Normally selling for $400, the Report Form Pro 2 home inspection report can be printed and filled out by hand or filled out on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can even put in photos easily. They also have a mobile app version of their home inspection report that can be used on an Android or Apple mobile device. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you have a home inspection report form that you’re comfortable with, and these are both good home inspection report options.
Is there a time limit for the online home inspection course for Louisiana?
No. There is no time limit on our course, so you can take as much time as you would like to complete it.
Does this online home inspection course certify me in mold inspection and radon inspection?
Do you provide a list of tools that I need for performing a home inspection?
Yes. We provide you with a list of tools needed and where to get the best deals. The cost of tools comes out to just about $200, including the non-invasive moisture meter.
What about marketing materials?
We suggest using www.vistaprint.com for your business cards, brochures, and company website if you set one up. They are very affordable and even have templates specific to home inspection businesses.
Do you offer my state test?
No schools are allowed to give the home inspection exam in Louisiana. That test is given by a third-party testing company. You can take that test any day of the week. You just need to schedule it a week in advance.
Do you send my certificate to the Louisiana Board of Home Inspectors?
Actually, the way it works is once you complete our course and pass the Louisiana exam, you will send the board a copy of your certification from us along with your score sheet from the Louisiana exam. Then you will be issued your home inspection license.
Can I start my own home inspection business after taking your online home inspector course?
Yes. In fact, the majority of our graduates will start their own successful home inspection business after completing our course. We also train you on the whole marketing and business start-up side of things.
What if I have questions during my course?
We have full support for all students and graduates, both during and after the course. Even if you have questions when you are on a home inspection, we can assist via email, text, or phone.
Do I need to have a background in the building trades to be a home inspector?
No. We train students from all different backgrounds to be successful home inspectors. A building background is not mandatory in Louisiana to become a licensed home inspector.
It doesn’t matter whether you want to become a home inspector in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lake Charles or Lafayette; our online home inspection course can be completed from anywhere. What are you waiting for? Enroll now and start your exciting career as a home inspector in Louisiana!